Free Training and Competency Procedure Template
Download our free Training and Competency Procedure Template:
- Training and Competency Procedure.doc file (Word Document)
- Training and Competency Procedure .pdf file (PDF)
*For internal use only. Not for resale or redistribution. By downloading, you agree to our Free Resources Licensing Agreement.
Purpose of Document
A Training and Competency Procedure establishes guidelines for ensuring workers are trained and competent in the workplace. The key objective is to ensure workers are protected from illness or injury posed by themselves or other workers being incompetent or untrained. This procedure is broadly aligned with the requirements of AS/NZS 45001:2018.
How to Use
This Training and Competency Procedure should be saved on your server and continually reviewed / updated. It should also be communicated to new workers as part of their induction or onboarding process. This document is a template only and it should be customised for your business ensuring that:
- Workplace specific risks are identified and managed, and
- Workers are consulted with during the customisation / review process.
When to Use
As stated above, this document should be made available to your staff and managers via your server, onedrive or intranet. You should also use it during employee inductions or you may wish to refresh your workers on the contents of the procedure periodically as part of a safety meeting or similar forum.
Who Should Use
This procedure should be reviewed and updated by your Safety Advisor, Project Manager or other Manager. Supervisors or managers can use the procedure to communicate the requirements to workers (including new workers).
There is no specific legal requirement to have a documented Training and Competency Procedure. However, it is best practice, especially for larger companies. It can help meet general legal duties, including:
- s(19)(3)f WHS Act – Duty to Provide Information, Training, Instruction or Supervision
- s(39) WHS Regulations – General Workplace Management (Provision of any information, training and instruction)
What is training and competence?
Training is a systematic way to improve an individual’s understanding, typically through designated programs or practical demonstrations while working.
Competence is generally defined as “Competent person means a person who has acquired through training, qualification or experience the knowledge and skills to carry out the task.”
Is competent and qualified the same thing?
In short, no. A competent person may be qualified and conversely, a qualified person may be incompetent. However, the two usually go hand in hand. If you are qualified, you are more likely to be competent.
What is a Training and Competency Plan?
A Training and Competency Plan is a planned approach that outlines how skills and knowledge will develop in a business or school setting.
Article Sources and Further Reading
- Training (Safe Work Australia) <https://covid19.swa.gov.au/covid-19-information-workplaces/industry-information/accommodation-services/training>
- WHS Training (Spire Safety) <https://spiresafety.com.au/whs-training/>